Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Am Free

I don't know how many times we've talked about freedom at school. But still, this image made me think and reevaluate my concept of freedom. I don't intend to give the most professional or philosophical insight about it, because I am merely a teenage boy, with teenage vocabulary and I have not read nearly enough to have the clearest idea of everything freedom implies. Reading things like what's on that image though, really makes me wonder... Are we really free? It's like, there's a certain "model" for how to live your life. A lot of people try to make their life as similar to that perfect model as possible, which is where the term "american dream" comes from. However a lot of people try to live a different life, completely different from this model. They try to shape it in every way they can, to make it feel like it's their own. Change every single detail so it feels unique. Sometimes, it's simply impossible to fully save yourself from falling into some aspects of the standard way of life.
When I first started writing this post (not so long ago, it's quite short as you can see) I wrote "I don't think so." Right after the question of freedom. As you can see, it's nowhere to be found anymore. And that's because when I started writing all of this, I realized what *I* really think (obviously people can agree or disagree). I think that as long as we have a clear idea of what we want our lives to be, based on who we really are, and what we as individuals aspire to achieve, then we are free. Even if it is only in our minds. We can go to work, send our kids to school, act normal, watch T.V. and everything else you may want to add; but just as long as deep down you're doing everything because you want to, and you're not afraid to be a little bit crazy, even when you don't show it, then you are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment